Pages

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Project - Rapunzel

So I decided to make a version of the Rapunzel dress from the Disney movie Tangled to wear to the Ren Fair this year.  I thought it would be fun to go as the "cut hair" version and to try and style a bob wig for this case.  I am also making my boyfriend grow facial hair and work on his "smolder" because he's going to be Flynn Rider. As I do this project I will attempt to keep it updated with pictures and posts in hopes that I will continue to do this with this and my other art and sewing projects.

Bought/ Items used:
* Purple cotton - 4 yards @ $2
* Pink Cotton - 3 yards @ $2
* Purple Zipper @ $2
* Blue Cotton - 4 yards @ $2
* Clasps - 4, 2 @ $3
* Fabric Paint
* Brown bob wig
* Wig "hair" spray @ $4
Total Cost of Project = ~$34

Process:
1) Figure out what patterns will be used
2) Cutting out the under dress and sewing it together
3) Cutting out bodice piece with bubble sleeves
4) Paint designs on skirt
5) Cut and piece out Flynn Ridder
6) Quilt Flynn's vest
7) Finish off Flynn's vest
8) Style wig

Rapunzel

These are the patterns that I used to make the outfits for both Rapunzel and Flynn.  I decided on doing more a 1950s/ 60s dress that looked a lot like the actual dress.  That way I could always retro up Rapunzel and have a fun night out.

Granted it is upside down, this is the almost finished product of the Rapunzel dress.  What is left to do here is the hand painting of the design as well as the finishing of the sleeves and hem.
 The wig I am very proud of.  It is the first time I have done any wig styling.  Even though it is not really much I really liked the little bounce it gave the bob wig.  Flared out a little bit on the tips it looked really good as a "cut" Rapunzel wig.

I think that I should look into styling more of my wigs to give them a little body and a little extra that personalization gives them.


The finished Rapunzel dress before leaving for the Ren Faire 2012.  There are still issues I need to correct with this dress, but besides minor things (finishing up on the hand painting and doing something to make the sleeves a little more-- less bulky) I am very pleased with this look.

I would love to eventually get some good pictures taken of me in this dress... this was pretty much the only one that I got this year and it was before we even left for the event.  I have to get better at forcing people to take pictures of me at events so I can have some good images of my costumes and work done.

To make it look more classic Tangled I do want to make a pink bodice to go over the dress.  However, that is going to have to wait until after even more projects >.<

Flynn Rider 


This is the basic part of the vest with the bating all pined in and ready to be sewn down to become an actual vest.

It turned out looking real good.  I am very pleased with the quilting.  However, there is lots more quilting left to be done.  I actually only got around to doing the collar of the vest but am planing on doing the rest before a photo-shoot of the two outfits.

Sadly I do not have a picture of the two of us in our costumes (but it looked really good on him!)... I am hoping that soon I will be able to take them so that I can put that into a portfolio which I would like to start making.  I am actually hoping that this will start as a portfolio for my sewing adventures.  We shall see. <3




**Tomorrow's post will be on the BtSSB Disney Colab Print!

No comments:

Post a Comment